mardi 1 juillet 2014

Thanksgiving Prep: Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes


Continuing with my thanksgiving prep I present a completely new idea. Well…. at least I think it’s new. :~)
As you may know this is the first year I’m cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I’m feeling the pressure to make things very traditional but I also want to make them my own (with health and nutrition in mind, of course!) So instead of the old fashioned candied mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallow on top, I’m going for sweet potatoes in the crockpot.
The idea here was to make something festive, light, fun and EASY. There are some things I just don’t want to have to worry about yet I still I want, like sweet potatoes.
So yesterday I did a bit of experimenting. I cut up one mother of a potato cranked on the crockpot and I was pleasantly surprised that my idea worked. Now I have a new sweet potato dish and I can’t wait to see how everyone likes it on the big day!
Note: I used 1 pound of potatoes and it was a little much for the amount of marinade. So I’m upping it a bit for the “idea”. Again, think of this as a “formula”, doubling and tripling, even halving as necessary. You could also throw in some carrots!Thanksgiving Prep: Crockpot Sweet Potatoes
  • 4 large sweet potatoes (about 5 inches long)
  • 1 tbsp honey (21g)
  • 1 tbsp molasses (20g)
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp ground allspice
  • dried or fresh parsley for garnish
Clean (scrub) the potatoes with water. Cut into large chunks leaving skin on. Add them to the crockpot.
In a small bowl whisk the honey, molasses, vinegar and all spice to make the marinade.
Pour the marinade over the potatoes, stir to coat.
Cover and cook on high for about 4 hours until potatoes are nice and soft.
Serve in a casserole dish with a sprinkle of parsley.
Approx Nutritional Information per serving
ServingsAmt per Serving
41/4 Recipe (about 150g – I’m going by 1 potato each)
CaloriesFatFiberWWPs
1500g4gold: 3new: 4
SugarSat FatCarbsProtein
13g0g35g2g

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire